Now that we’re three games deep into the NFL regular season, it’s fair to say that it’s time for a Power Ranking to figure out which teams have taken charge and which teams might as well go back to the drawing board. Some teams are separating themselves from the pack (for better or worse), while others are still in that awkward middle ground. We’ll try and clear things up with our “expert” opinions.
Cream of the Crop (so far)
1. Pittsburgh Steelers 3-0 – That’s right. No QB, no problem. Their defense is playing at an all-world level, averaging 11 points per game against Atlanta, Tennessee, and Tampa Bay. Add a potent rushing attack with Mendenhall and you have a scary team that will only get better with the addition of Roethlisberger (sp?) in a couple weeks. I hate to say it, but be afraid, NFL. Not that most people aren’t already a little scared of Ben anyway…
2. Indianapolis Colts 2-1 – With Peyton in charge, the Colts are a steady team that will be sure to take 11-13 wins. They seem just fine after a week 1 loss to Houston.
3. Atlanta Falcons 2-1 – After a difficult Week 1 OT loss to Pittsburgh, Atlanta has showed its mettle with an overpowering win against Arizona and an OT win against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in Week 3. The next two games are very serviceable, with match-ups against 0-3 SF and 0-3 Cleveland. They’ll be 4-1 in 2 weeks.
4. New Orleans 2-1 – The Saints are fine, for now. Despite losing this past weekend in OT, they should be fine with Drew Brees at the helm. But the last place rushing attack has to be of concern. However, don’t panic yet: their next four games are against Carolina, Arizona, Tampa Bay, and Cleveland – all very winnable. Expect to see them at 6-1.
5. Chicago Bears 3-0 – The Bears are the last unbeaten in the NFC, and have impressive W’s against Dallas and Green Bay. All three games, including a Week 1 win against Detroit, were hotly contested and decided by a single score, so don’t get too high on them, yet. But a fantastic start for Chicago, nonetheless. Continue reading “NFL Power Rankings – Week 4”